Introduction and Overview
History of Civil Engineering dates back with the evolution of human needs for food, shelter and routes for transportation. It stands among the oldest engineering disciplines in human history and universally recognized as the mother of all engineering disciplines. Civil Engineering is a broad and vast field which encompasses everything that we see around us, either has been built or being built using the natural and or manmade resources. It widely covers the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of buildings, bridges, streets and highways, railways, airports, industries, all kind of infrastructure for water supply, sewage, hydraulic structures and irrigation system and many more.
Civil Engineering Department at Khwaja Fareed University of Engineering & Information Technology was established in 2017 with the first intake of fifty (50) students of BS Civil Engineering from Fall 2017. Pakistan Engineering Council issued the green signal after the successful zero visit in November 2017. MS Civil Engineering (Specialization in Water Resources & Irrigation Engineering) started from Spring 2019 after HEC issued the NOC. KFUEIT is among the few public sector universities in Southern Punjab, offering BS and MS Programs in Civil Engineering. Infrastructure of department has already been completed and labs have been equipped with the state-of-the-art equipment and commercial testing facilities. Currently, the departmental lab facilities are not only meeting the educational requirements and professional growth of students, but also covering the regional needs of commercial testing.
Vision & Mission
Vision of the department is to achieve the national and international acceptance by developing the learning environment for theoretical and practical education and purposeful research. We aim to producing competent and problem solver civil engineers in the seven major areas: Hydraulics and water resources, Structural Engineering, Materials and Forensic Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Environmental engineering and Construction Project Management.
Mission of the department is to impart high quality civil engineering education by modern teaching techniques and research methodologies for acquiring the latest, creative and lifelong learning knowledge of engineering, sciences and technology. The mission also focuses the development of professional and ethical qualities to be a successful Engineer and responsible member of society for national and international infrastructural and socio-economic development.
- Departmental Strength
- 2 PhD, 4 MSc Civil Engineering
- 1 Director Labs, 3 Engineers, 8 Support Staff
- Well established departmental infrastructure (12 faculty offices, 4 lecture theatres, 13 Large – scale laboratories, 2 Admin offices, 1 departmental Library)
- PEC and HEC Approved Program
- Faculty is graduated from the top ranked universities nationally and internationally
- Laboratories with latest Equipment and Machinery (Latest Universal Testing Machine, Computerized Triaxial Compression Machine, Reaction Frame, Computerized Compression Testing Machine, Non – destructive Testing Facilities.
Lab Facilities / Infrastructure
Following state of the art laboratory facilities have been developed at the Department of Civil Engineering.
- Engineering Mechanics Lab
- Computer Center Lab
- Strength of Materials Lab
- Concrete Lab
- Geotechnical Engineering Lab
- Foundation Engineering Lab
- Hydraulics Engineering Lab
- Transportation Engineering Lab
- Hydrology and Irrigation Engineering Lab
- Environmental Engineering Lab
- GIS & RS Lab
- Earthquake Engineering Lab
Commercial Activities (Tests and Reports)
Civil Engineering Department
Civil Engineering Department is actively engaged in commercial testing services by offering services from following labs:
- Strength of materials lab
- Concrete lab
- Transportation lab
- Surveying lab
- Geotechnical Engineering lab
- Hydraulics lab
- Hydrology lab
The Department has clients from a wide range of government, private and industry stakeholders. Following departments, industries, consultants and construction companies are among our valuable clients and taking benefit of our services:
- NESPAK Pvt Ltd
- Unilever Pakistan Pvt Ltd
- Fatima Fertilizer Co Ltd
- Mott MacDonald Pakistan (MMP)
- Mari Petroleum
- Pak Arab
- Municipal committees
- EITIHAD Industries
- Asian Consultants
- Highways Department
- Public Health engineering department
- ACE Private Ltd RYK
- And many others construction companies
Students have the opportunities to get hands-on experience and chances of interaction with the future employers and to grasp the essence of their practical field work. The testing data is useful for the students for learning the real world scenarios. Testing experimentation is creating a professional environment that is directly helping in grooming the abilities of future Civil Engineers.