Introduction and Overview
Pakistan's economy is primarily an agrarian based as agriculture sector is contributing about 21% to its GDP, employing 45% of its work force, and providing livelihood to more than 67% of its population, which is residing mostly in the rural areas. But contribution of this sector of economy is heavily dependent on adequate supply of irrigation water, state of the art modern as well as low cost farm equipment and structures and safe environment. At the same time, it is also needed to provide alternative energy sources and post-harvest food preservation technologies to ensure food security as post-harvest losses in fruits and vegetables could reduce production by 25-40%.
Keeping these issues in view, the Department of Agricultural Engineering at Khwaja Fareed University of Engineering and Information Technology, Rahim Yar Khan has been established. The Department is proud of its huge infrastructure, highly accomplished and talented academia and well equipped laboratories for a comprehensive training in water, mechanization, environmental and computer modelling aspects of agriculture. Department also aims to be a hub in academic professionalism and entrepreneurial development in agricultural engineering. The Department has opened its doors to the public to boost its professional and industrial dialogue through university industry linkage, outreach programs, internship for students and MOUs with public/private sectors.
- A Prestigious Seminary of Learning and Innovation: Global excellence in training, research and innovation in water and environment management, farm mechanization, agro-processing, renewable energy and crop-soil-water productivity
- Sustainable Agricultural Development: Preserving the ecosystems through optimal use of indigenous resources for precision agriculture, consequently achieving sustainable development of Rural Areas in close collaboration with farming community
- Highly Skilled Professionals: To impart professional education, training and produce skilled manpower at graduate and postgraduate level in the field of Agricultural Engineering with special focus on resolving issues faced by the farming community
- State of the Art Training: To promote student's learning in Agricultural engineering and related disciplines to achieve excellence in Agriculture sector.
- Services and Entrepreneurship: To serve the nation by providing trained engineers to plan and execute the public and private sector projects pertaining to food security and natural resources management through engineering & technology principles.
- Discovery and Innovation: To bring indigenous and global professionals together who can exploit local wisdom and novel solutions for mitigation of regional and global challenges of climate change, water use efficiency and food security.
Key Facts and Focus Area of Agricultural Engineering:
- Agricultural engineering is the area of engineering concern with the improvement and advancements in the water management, bringing innovation in the mechanization and ensuring the food security through precision agriculture.
- The use of modern tools like Global Positing System and satellite derived remote sensing and GIS, GPS operated farm machinery revolutionize the agriculture and brought the prosperity in the farming community.
- The professionals (teachers/researchers) aimed to excel imparting education and training pertaining to water resources management and utilizing the water resources of the country in an efficient manner.
- Department plans to impart professional education, training and produce skilled manpower at graduate and postgraduate level in the field of Agricultural Engineering with special focus on resolving issues faced by the farming community.
- The department has foreign qualified Faculty members and sate of the art laboratories in the field of Agricultural Engineering.
- The department has on campus Water and Agricultural Mechanization Research Station (WAMRS).
Programs being offered
- BS Agricultural Engineering
- BS Agriculture (Agronomy, Agricultural Extension, Agricultural Economics, Entomology, Horticulture)
- MS Agricultural Engineering
- MS Water Resource Management*
* Subject to approval / NOC from HEC / Competent Authority / Accreditation Body